Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Special Delivery

A Special Delivery
Our new baby girl, Suzanna Brooke was definitely a special delivery and one we will never forget. Before time passes I want to write down this story while it is so clear in my head. Suzanna came so fast, we were unable to make it to the hospital and therefore had a unexpected/unplanned home birth. Eddie and I reacted and just kept focus. Thanks to the help of the 911 operator and then later the EMT’s that arrived. We are blessed and have an amazing story.

Birth Plan
I definitely had a different birth plan in mind with my second pregnancy as my 1st delivery was induced and I was on PIT and IV for soooo long. Though Sarah’s delivery was a good experience (she arrived safely, no pain.. I had an epidural). It was not ideal. I wanted to have a Physician and Midwives practice here in CA like I did in VA. I found UCSD Medical down in San Diego. They not only had a normal Labor and Delivery unit/floor, but also a Birth Center. Each room was huge and was very supportive for a natural birth experience. They had hot tubs and all types of things to help with labor. I was very excited back in April when we went for the hospital visit. The hospital was however, 40 mins from our house. I had all my Dr appts in LaJolla with the midwives there.

Patiently waiting
Wow, the end of this pregnancy was so different than with my 1st. I worked until I delivered Sarah. The only complications was the sever carpel tunnel issue/nerve damages I had in my arms. I didn’t really experience “REAL” contractions till I was at the hospital on PIT and strapped to the bed. So when I started getting “REAL contractions at 34 weeks with this pregnancy… I was a little worried. I thought for sure the baby would be early. The contractions were so uncomfortable… I was so uncomfortable that I decided to start my maternity leave in mid July. I was also trying to keep my carpel tunnel issue under control this pregnancy with limited pain (and that was a success). At 38 weeks I was 4 cm and at 39 & 40 I was 5 cm. Who walks around like that? I was a ticking time bomb. I had my acupuncture treatments and did all the midwives suggestions.. Homeopathic remedies, my Aunts potion (Thanks Aunt Cindy) -caster oil, OJ and Baking soda, etc….. but still it was not enough to put me in FULL labor. There were days, I would take contractions like 3 hours at a time coming 5 to 8 minutes apart, but then nothing… they would just go away.


The Delivery
It was our 1st Tuesday night all together as a family as my cousin had flown back to NC the night before. Eddie and I went to bed around a 11pm and around 12pm I awoke with a pretty strong contraction… it wasn’t till 15 mins later that I had another one. It was pretty strong and I remember waking up Eddie to tell him. Then next one came, but again 10 to 15 mins later… Again.. I am looking for contractions 2 to 5 mins apart that are pretty strong. Finally I got up and started breathing/moving through the contractions. I told Eddie we probably need to make a few phone calls to ask Shelly or Natalie to come over to watch Sarah, then I pretty much spent the next hour in the bathroom trying to figure out what my body was doing. Did I need to go to the bathroom? did I just need to breathe through the contractions? I was so confused. I did jump in the shower which was very comforting to have the warm water on me. However, I kept going in and out trying to decide if I need to go to the bathroom. Before I knew it, my water broke in the toilet and I jump back in the shower. It was at that time that it hit me….. I COULD NOT take the contractions in the CAR. Eddie came and said let’s go…. I said I don’t think we are going anywhere… he said NO really grab your robe and lets go, Natalie is here and we can go to the hospital. I said, I don’t think you are listening to me… we aren’t going anywhere….. CALL 911. I had an insane contraction and fell to the tub. It hit me there that I was going to have this baby right in just a few minutes. The next thing I knew Eddie was on the phone with the 911 operator and she was telling him to pull me out of the shower. I was like NO, I like the warm water and Eddie was like we have to do what she says…. So I let him pull me in the floor. The next thing I knew… the baby was coming…. One push and there was her head…. Then a break, the next contraction…. She was out. Eddie caught her and immediately starting cleaning her mouth and passage way. She basically threw up and then it didn’t take her long to CRY. She was breathing and I was so relieved. Eddie confirmed she arrived at 1:41AM. Then maybe 5 mins later the EMT’s arrived and Eddie cut the cord. They basically picked me up and carried me and the baby out of the house into the ambulance. The funny thing is Sarah was in the room next to ours and slept through the entire thing. My dear friend Natalie was there and held my hand through it all. I am forever grateful.

The Camp Pendleton EMT’s took me to UCSD Medical in San Diego. It was a long ambulance ride, but Suzanna was very good. She even ate a few times. I was still waiting for all the afterbirth to come, but it took a while even when we got to the hospital. In the ambulance, I denied the IV fluid. I had gone this far with a complete natural child birth, I didn’t want any fluids in me unless it was medically necessary. I continued to loose a lot of blood, but didn’t realize how much till we were at the hospital. They let me go another hour till the placenta showed and then the bleeding didn’t let up. I would face a blood transfusion if I didn’t take the IV and PIT. Uhgg…. Even after a complete natural childbirth, I still had to have drugs. Things were good though at the hospital. Eddie had arrived and Suzanna was doing soooo well. They weighed her in at 8lbs 11 oz and 21 ½ inches long. She seems completed healthy and happy. Me on the other hand…. was having trouble recovering. My nurses tried to get me out of the bed to use the bathroom, however, as soon as I sat up completely, I started feeling so light headed. However, I was really focusing and wanted to get up and try to use the bathroom. Well, I made it…. To the toilet….. but then totally blacked out. Totally crazy… it took a few minutes but when I awoke there were tons of nurses/Dr around trying to help me. I was able to get back to the bed safely. Ha kind of funny to black out there huh? After that it was a slow, but good recovery.
So this is my story in summary. Eddie and I look back and think of how blessed we are that there were NO complications. Everything happened in less than 30 mins. It was crazy. I was pretty impressed Eddie was able to focus and react as everything unfolded. As for the pain… it was rough, but not as bad as it could have been. I am totally fine and have been recovering very well. No tears, no major issues….. Praise the Lord!



No comments: